One word can be a very surreal and scary thing. Especially when it affects an immediate family member.
Life goes by extremely fast. Nothing is forever and that includes life.
Here are some things that I feel are important to remember:
1. Do talk to a professional. Talking to a counselor or a psychiatrist is a healthy way learn how to understand and process your emotions in a healthy way.
2. Physically Your loved one may change because of medicine that are getting or because of a surgery that they have undergone. They may be more tired. They are still the same person they were before on the inside and they love you just like they did before.
3. There are people through these hard times that are there for you and Support you. Your counselor, your friends , your family. There is someone in your corner who understands what you’re going through and will be there for you.
4. Don’t give up on your goals, the things you are passionate about, what makes you happy. You can’t stop doing what you enjoy because your family member is sick. Be creative, Work hard, Enjoy life.
5. Don’t take things that someone else says personally! Your family is going through a difficult time. Stress, Anxiety, or Sadness may manifest themselves as Anger. It’s not your fault . The members of your family are going through a lot too! They Love you!
6. Communicate It’s important as a family to talk about what is happening. You don’t have to go into grave detail but, having that understanding that you’re not the only person going through this and that you can get through this together will lift some weight off of your shoulders.
7. Don’t take on everyone’s emotions! I am empathetic. I can tell when my immediate family members are stressed or upset. It’s hard not to feel and take on these extra emotions. Taking on these extra emotions is like taking on extra weight. Too much weight makes it hard to move! Focus on the emotions that you are dealing with. Be understanding that the rest of your family has the same or different emotions but, don’t crush yourself with weight you weren’t meant to handle.
8. Do focus on Yourself. It is important to focus on your mental wellness and your physical health. Your mental wellness and your physical health are two very important “pillars ” that are holding you up. Tall and strong! Anxiety, Stress , and Depression can cause cracks in these” pillars” to form but, don’t let them crumble. You Are Important! Get rest, eat good foods, exercise your mind and body. Express yourself and your emotions in a healthy way.